Jerk Chickent Ingredients:
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 half teaspoon jerk seasoning (or according to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Jerk Chicken Preparation:
- Skin and wash chicken
- Mix ingredients (and chicken) together in a medium-sized bowl, using your hands to work the marinade into the chicken pieces. Leave overnight in the refrigerator if possible.
- Spread marinated chicken onto a baking bowl and cook in the oven at about 350º for between 30 and 45 mins or until golden brown.
Rice and Beans (Waakye) Ingredients:
- 1 cup rice
- 1 bag of black-eye peas (as sold in the grocery stores)
- Waakye leaves or 1 tablespoon of baking soda
- 4 cups of water
- A pinch of salt to taste
Rice and Beans (Waakye) Preparation:
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring water, baking soda and beans to a boil. Use waakye leaves if you can find these and use instead of baking soda. They give the beans a red color and exceptional flavor.
- Let beans boil for about 30 minutes or until tender
- Add cup of rice and stir until evenly mixed with the beans
- Let simmer for a few minutes or until rice is cooked
- Waakye is cooked when rice is tender and all water has been evaporated
Serve as a side dish to the jerk chicken. Rice and beans can be eaten with or without tomato sauce. The choice is yours.